Thursday, October 4, 2007

He Wears Short Shorts

Am I the only one who finds the opening credits a little heavy handed on Ramsay's American version of Kitchen Nightmares? The voiceover claims Ramsay is "the most successful restauranteur in the world?" What does that even mean?

I have eaten at The London Bar, his NYC restaurant, and while it is better than most American food critics give him credit for (and the washrooms really ARE the greatest in the world) it certainly isn't the best food I have ever had (and it has one of the worst wine lists in Manhattan).

My beef aside (groan) this week Ramsay, the chef who would heat up any kitchen, takes on New York State again. He hits Bellmore, where he convinces the owners of The Mixing Bowl that branding themselves as a healthy food choice will set them above the crowd. His justification for the smart food choices? There are gyms and salons on the street, so clearly Bellmore residents want healthy options. Except that the salons are NAIL SALONS. The kind where you risk a fungal infection because the pedi is only 20 bucks.

I would not be at all surprised if The Mixing Bowl has already shut down. That said, the branding would still have been totally worth it, if only because it led to Ramsay hosting a local run, and so we get to see Ramsay strutting his stuff in running shorts. I can say this about very few men: Dude's got hot legs.

1 comment:

Ondo Lady said...

I am not a fan, I find him very loud mouthed and so in need of a punch in the face. I have never been to his restaurant though, I am sure his food is good but he is such an ego maniac. His wife is a chef too and they have his 'n' her kitchens. Enough said!