Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gogol Bordello Gypsy Punks

To redeem myself in the eyes of musical aficionados who read my blog about Maroon 5 and thought, "Man, you actually like their music?" I thought I would let you know that last night I was sweating and jumping wildly to the insanely charming Gogol Bordello Gypsy Punks.

The New York group has been around since 1999, and they supposedly stole the show at Glastonbury this year. Their live show last night was like stumbling into a bar in Romania and discovering the house band was a group of speed-freak good-timers with a rhythm that necessitates ass-shaking and fist-pumping.

My only gripe (because I always have one) is that the girl singers looked and acted like Gwen Stefani's Harajuku girls dressed up for a shift at Long John Silver's (which is to say they were as absurdly dressed but in cheaper duds). They were distracting in a flaky, sort of shoo-fly way. Otherwise, the band was a total party favour.

No comments: