Friday, September 21, 2007

Newfie Jokes


I have never been a big fan of Newfoundland writing. I find it takes itself too seriously and relies too heavily on lengthy descriptions of rocks, water and jigging. I mean, I get it. You live by the ocean.

Of course, my mass sweeping generalizations are often proven wrong (yay Lisa Moore) and I am embarrassed to admit that I only recently picked up one of Michael Winter's books for the first time. Damn, this man is my new literary hero.

Winter fills a void left for me since 2002 (the last year Rick Moody published a novel worthy of having the name Rick Moody on its jacket). The Big Why is a historical novel that is neither sweeping nor romantic. It is thrilling in its philosophical drive and sardonic zingers. I don't even want to give you a plot summary because if I had read the summary I probably never would have read the book.

I am telling you, read this book.
If you don't like it, I will act like it's no big deal.
But secretly, I will judge you.

No comments: